Fulton is centrally located between Kansas City and St. Louis, 4 miles off Interstate 70 on U.S. Highway 54. Fulton is part of the Mid Missouri Triangle with Jefferson City 20 miles to our south and Columbia 20 miles to our west. Fulton serves as the county seat for the Kingdom of Callaway County. Fulton is a full service community that offers a broad range of services to its citizen.
Historians believe that Callaway County existed long before the records document activity about the area. The first settlement in the county was 1808 at Cote Sans Dessein along the Missouri River. Early leaders considered the Territory between Wainwright and Tebbetts for the First Missouri State Capital. Callaway County was organized in 1830 and was named after Captain James Callaway who was killed by Indians. Elizabeth became the county seat. Many of the villages and towns in the county today represent places where railroad stations existed in early years.
The 2006 Census Bureau estimated the population of Fulton to be 12,387 with the entire Callaway County at 42,541.
Fulton offers six public schools, two private schools and is home to the Missouri School for the Deaf. Along with William Woods University and Westminster College, two other career and technical centers are available for higher education and training.
More information about Fulton, Missouri